ideas I didn’t end up writing but really wanted to:
(1) The revolution is successful, and Hiroshi and Amon move Asami and Tarrlok to
a gilded cage luxurious private rooms. Tarrlok and Asami are initially hostile but are driven to band together against their infinitely more objectionable relations and split ends; Hiroshi is as shitty a father as might be expected, which unsurprisingly alienates Noatak, who despite his many failings as a brother retains intense if twisted affection and absolutely zero inclination towards resolving Tarrlok’s recalcitrance with fratricide.
(2) Korra stays on the task force, is torn between “accomplishing things and beating people up” and “personal loyalty and ethics” as personified in Tarrlok and Tenzin.
(3) Unalaq and his family die when Korra is very young, before she’s revealed as the Avatar. Tonraq becomes Chief of the Northern Water Tribe and Korra, princess and his heir.
(4) Koirë is a very young Elf of the House of Finwë, largely unaware of the rising tensions between the Númenóreans and the Elves. She sneaks off Tol Eressëa and sails to Númenor to find her fortune with her distant cousins, the Elf-friendly lords of Andúnië. Amandil accepts her into his household against his own better judgment (passing her off, in the dangerous atmosphere of the time, as an orphaned cousin), and before long, she’s up to her ears in the Byzantine politics of Tar-Míriel’s Númenor.
(5) more of the burning, where Tarrlok doesn’t bloodbend Korra, she burns him, and immediately horrified, runs to tell Tenzin what she’s done. As Tarrlok recovers, there’s an uneasy detente between Tarrlok/Saikhan and Korra/Tenzin in the interests of fighting Equalists, the Equalists are using the attack to rally support (if he’s not safe WHO IS), and Amon himself is barely containing his rage.
(6) Korra is one of the bloodbending kids - the oldest, at twenty minutes Noatak’s senior. For whatever reason, she doesn’t manifest her other elements until the usual age, and is simply a waterbending prodigy like her twin, pulled out of healing lessons to be trained as a bloodbender with him. Her power and will easily make her the second-favourite. THIS CAN ONLY END WELL.